At Boingo, we are passionate supporters of the “green” movement, as well as community and personal wellness. Everyone on our team, including the executives, voluntarily participates in a variety of activities that helps further these causes, including:
- Energy conservation. Weve replaced our incandescent bulbs with CFLs, reduced our power footprint by expanding use of virtual machines (VMs) in our data centers, and continue to sponsor “Power Off” contests, where our employees can win prizes for turning off their computers and surge protectors at night.
- Recycling. Weve placed recycling bins throughout our office for common items such as cans, bottles and paper. In addition, we also recycle less common items such as batteries, cell phones, and cardboard! Further, we actively use electronics recyclers for old computers to ensure hazardous materials dont end up in landfills.
- Emissions control. Our employee-based Alternative Transportation Program incents employees NOT to drive their cars to work. More than 15% of our employees opt to walk, bike, or take public transportation to work, in lieu of driving a personal vehicle. As a reward, they receive a monthly cash stipend equal to the cost of car parking in our garage.
- Donations. We donate a portion of our sales proceeds around the week of Earth Day to an environmentally focused non-profit. Past participants include: Global Green USA and Earth Day Network.
- Volunteerism. Our team regularly volunteers around the community:
- Personal wellness. We have an extensive Wellness Activity Program, including a Wellness Mileage program that counts the miles our team has walked, run or biked towards an annual goal. This helps our employees feel great while also helping to keep Boingos healthcare costs down (not to mention the further incentive to participate in the Alternative Transportation Program!).