We had quite the year here at Boingo. We introduced new technology, won awards, hosted events and had fun doing it! I wish we had room to mention them all, but here are just a handful of the many milestones we passed along the road to 2016.
- Passpoint: When the world woke up on January 1st, 2015, Boingo and Time Warner Cable had just launched Passpoint roaming coast to coast. Customers with Passpoint-certified devices and account credentials could now experience seamless, secure connections between the two networks.
Sprint Customers Auto-Connect: Another highlight kicking off the year was the signing of an offload agreement with a tier-one carrier, Sprint! We launched Wi-Fi offload for 40 million Sprint handsets at 35 airports. This means Sprint devices near a Boingo hotspot can seamlessly connect to the Wi-Fi network, without even counting towards their monthly service plan.
- New Digs: Spring has always been a time for new beginnings, and in April we got a fresh start on the 23rd and 24th floors of our building with a brand new office space. From the windows to the walls, we are now in a fresh, open, bright creative space that illustrates who we are and what we do.
- Already the Best Year Ever!: In June, we were already saying, “What a year!” We inked 30 long-term Distributed Antenna System (“DAS”) network access contracts with Tier One carriers for high traffic venues throughout the United States, all before 3Q! If you’re not familiar with DAS, it provides voice and data services just like a cell tower.
- Feeling Grateful: We were “Forever Grateful” to have been at Soldier Field as the Grateful Dead said goodbye this summer as part of their 50th anniversary tour (#GD50). Guests at Soldier Field lit up the Internet during the final concerts as fans shared their experiences and soon-to-be memories.
- Drivers, Start Your Engines!: Did you know know that we’re the proud sponsor of RLL Racing? Graham Rahal, IndyCar driver for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (yes, THAT Letterman) drove a tough final race in Sonoma at the August GoPro 500, placing fourth for the season. We’re looking forward to next year!
- Looking Good and Feeling Good: The Los Angeles Business Journal named us a Top 100 Best Place to Work! Aside from an employee survey, the LABJ looked at culture, systems and policies. And as if that weren’t enough, Built In LA named Boingo one of the Swankiest offices in Los Angeles. We like to think our office design is leading edge, just like our people and culture.
- Philips Arena: We lit up Philips Arena, home to the NBA Atlanta Hawks & WNBA Atlanta Dream, and host to numerous concerts and events. This is Boingo’s first High Density Arena Wi-Fi system deployment.
- K-State of Mind: We were also honored to receive a Tweet from Kansas State President Kirk H. Schultz, as Boingo Wireless and Aruba Networks teamed to bring stadium-wide Wi-Fi and DAS networks for fans to the Bill Snyder Family Stadium. We’re proud to deliver a super fan experience!
- Ironwoman: Cherie Gruenfeld, Boingo’s official butt-kicker, made history in October at the 2015 IRONMAN World Championship when she set a new course record for her age group – for the third time. Let’s also not forget that USA Triathlon (USAT) awarded Cherie the title of Grandmaster of the Year for 2015!
- Best of the Best: Cherie wasn’t the only one winning awards this fall. Boingo was named “Best Wi-Fi Network Operator” and “Best Wi-Fi Service for Vertical Markets” by the Wireless Broadband Association — one of our industry’s highest honors!
- NewCo: In November, we hosted the closing party of NewCo LA and presented a great session “Keeping the Soul of a Start-up in a Public Company.” Being named a NewCo means we join a select group that includes the likes of Tesla, Google and Twitter. We are honored!
- Cynopsis Media Finalist: Then, Boingo was named as a finalist in Cynopsis Media’s 3rd annual Model D Awards in the Digital Video Ad Platform category. It was an honor to be considered alongside Adobe, Extreme Reach, TubeMogul and Videology. Boingo Media provides free ad-supported Wi-Fi in high traffic venues as the world’s largest Wi-Fi advertising platform.
- Best Wi-Fi Service: On December 1st, Boingo was named “Best Wi-Fi Service” in Global Traveler’s 12th Annual GT Reader Survey Awards for the sixth time! We’re proud to offer our award-winning Wi-Fi to travelers through more than 1 million hotspots worldwide.
- Serving Those Who Serve: We are so proud to provide Broadband Wi-Fi and TV service to our armed forces living in the barracks. This year we almost doubled our footprint to nearly 250k potential subscribers.
- Boingo Gets S.M.A.R.T.er: To cap off the year, we also got S.M.A.R.T.! Our technology offers multiple speed options, depending on the traveler’s needs. With speeds up to 20 Mbps, it’s faster than the average U.S. broadband connection! It’s currently available at seven international airports – with more coming soon.
Happy New Year!
We’re continuing to connect more people and places. 2015 is going to be hard to beat, but starting January 1st, we’re going to try! We wish you all a happy and healthy New Year.