Mother’s Day is celebrated in many parts of the world, most commonly in March, April or May (source: Wikipedia). This warms our hearts since mothers deserve to be honored as much as possible! If Mother’s Day is coming up in your part of the world (here in the U.S., it’s on May 8th this year) and Mom is a travel enthusiast, check out our top ten travel-themed gift picks below.
1. Comfy flat shoes: Mom will breeze through airport security with comfortable slip-ons that double as socks to keep her feet warm during the flight. These classy shoes caught our eye:
2. Crushable hat: Mom is always on the go, whether it’s around town or on a jet plane. Provide her protection from the sun (or a bad hair day) with a fashionable hat that can be packed with baggage without losing its shape. Check out these crushable hats:
3. Accessories bag: Mom can pack her make-up and toiletries in neat little compartments that zip up into a lovely pack-away or carry-on bag. We like these:
a) Travelon microfiber bag for $46.74 (perfect for the mom who prefers to pack plenty of accessories) via eBags.com.
b) Brookstone leather toiletry bag for $105.95 — and it can be engraved with Mom’s initials! via Brookstone.
c) Victorinox accessories toiletry kit for $58.00 via Zappos.
4. Travel steam iron: if your mom is plagued by clothes that wrinkle up when packed in luggage, then a portable steam iron will smooth things over. Check out these three compact-sized steam irons:
5. Universal plug adapter: a must-have for globe-trotting moms. We like the all-in-one adaptors that come in one piece. We found these three highly-rated ones:
a) Magellan’s Universal Adapter Plug ($19.85) can be used in North America, the South Pacific, UK and Continental Europe (via Magellan’s).
b) The Universal Adapter Plug by Austin House ($15.95) can be used in over 160 countries (excluding India and South Africa) and has a built-in surge protector (via TravelProducts.com).
c) iGo International Travel Adapter ($12.99) covers more than 150 countries with US/UK/EU/AU plugs and has an integrated USB outlet (via iGo).
6. Travel-sized beauty essentials: they’re practical, fun and smell good! We like these kits from Sephora:
a) Philosophy’s The Travel Agent kit ($35) comes with facial cleanser, moisturizer, shampoo, bath and shower gel, body emulsion, conditioner and a clear bag with sliding zipper.
b) Bliss Sinkside Six-Pack ($25) comes with soap gel, face wash, shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, body butter and a tote bag.
c) Caudalie Beauty on Board kit ($15) comes with cleansing water, shower gel, body lotion, conditioning shampoo, moisturizer and a paper zipper pouch.
7. Travel-themed books are entertaining distractions for Mom on long flights. And when she’s not traveling, Mom can derive inspiration from stories about adventures and exotic destinations! Check out this blog post for travel-themed books we love. Here are our top three recommendations (all are available in e-book format) via Barnes and Noble:
a) Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert: memoir chronicles author’s year-long sojourn in three different countries — Italy, India, and Bali — following the dissolution of her marriage. In Italy, the author indulges in eating and relaxation. In India, she discovers spirituality through prayer. And in Bali, she finds love. ($8.82/paperback, $12.99/eBook)
b) The Journeyer by Gary Jennings: reading this book about the adventures of Marco Polo is like taking a long, languorous magical carpet ride. In the span of two decades, Marco ventures from medieval Venice to the Mongol Empire, encountering the customs and curiosities of various cultures. Great historical fiction. ($14.99/paperback, $9.99/eBook)
c) Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts: following his escape from an Australian prison, the author flees to India, where he re-invents himself several times over. The author re-defines the notion of cultural immersion as he not only learns several Indian dialects but also develops deep ties with a tour guide, a Mafia boss and a green-eyed expat beauty. ($8.81/paperback, $9.99/eBook)
8. Weekend tote bag: Mom might have all the extended travel luggage she needs, but does she have a simple tote bag for weekend-length trips? We love these totes via eBags for short trips and all-day jaunts to the beach or Disneyland:
a) Amy Butler for Kalencom Merris Duffel Bag (cotton) for $240.
b) Le Donne Leather Distressed Leather Getaway Duffel (leather) for $149.25.
c) Sydney Love A Day at the Beach Stripe Overnight Bag (canvas) for $69.
9. Travel guide: is Mom taking a trip soon? Get her a guidebook on her destination. These are available in hard-copy, eBook format and/or as smartphone apps:
a) Lonely Planet city and country guides (various prices).
b) Zagat guides for ratings on restaurants, hotels, nightlife and more (various prices).
c) Rick Steves language phrasebooks and country guides (various prices).
10. Fresh flowers that earn miles: a delivery of fresh flowers is bound to put a smile on Mom’s face. What’s more, if you order through FTD, you can earn mileage points depending on your airlines. These are three airlines participating in the flowers-for-miles promotion this year for Mother’s Day: