Steve Jobs took the stage at the Apple event today to unveil…the iPad 2! Below are the details on the much-anticipated tablet:
- Operating system is iOS 4.3
- The main CPU is a Samsung A5 dual core processor, which makes the iPad 2 two times faster than the original iPad
- New graphics processor that’s nine times faster than that of the iPad 1
- Front and rear cameras
- HDMI compatible, enabling connectivity to TV or a large screen
- A gyroscope
- Battery life in the 10 hour range (same as iPad 1)
- Included accessories:
- Cable that connects the screen to another monitor
- “Smart covers” that come in different colors and use magnets to attach to the device
- Form factor:
- 33% thinner than before (thinner than the iPhone 4)
- Weighs a bit less, at 1.3 pounds compared with 1.5 for the original iPad 1
- Available models: Three storage sizes for both the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi +3G models: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB.
- Colors: black or white
- Price: entry level model is the same as the iPad 1 at $499. The top-end model is $829.
- Shipping: March 11, 2011 in the U.S. Available in 26 other countries starting March 25.
- New applications available for iPad:
- Apple’s iMovie ($4.99)
- GarageBand ($4.99)
- Available channels:
- Apple online store
- Apple retail stores
- 3G version will be available on Verizon and AT&T
And remember, if you need access to Wi-Fi on your iPad, consider:
- Boingo Mobile for $7.95: unlimited access to 260,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Download the free app from iTunes.
- Boingo Wi-Fi Credits: buy one-hour increments of Wi-Fi for $1.99/hour. Download the free app from iTunes.
Here’s a video, via the Wall Street Journal, of Steve Jobs’ announcement of the iPad 2: