It’s summer vacation season again, and whether you’re traveling within the U.S. or overseas, credit cards can provide extra protection that other payment options don’t.
Here are some simple tips from Citi’s free credit education program, Use Credit Wisely, to help you travel safely this summer:
- Set a Daily Budget : It’s exciting to visit a new place but between the sightseeing, dining out and buying souvenirs for you and your loved ones, it’s easy for expenses to get out of hand. Set a daily budget for yourself by dividing your budget for the entire trip by the number of days you’ll be away. You will get a clearer understanding of exactly how much money you can spend per day.
- Only Pack What’s Necessary : From clothes to your credit cards, try to streamline what you take with you on your trip. Limit the number of credit cards you carry. Be sure to take an extra credit card with a separate account number and leave it in your hotel safe as a back-up.
- Keep Your Credit Card Issuer Informed : Before traveling abroad, let your credit card issuer know when and where you’ll be going for added protection and access to your credit overseas. Also, familiarize yourself with the overseas terms of your credit card.
- Paper or Plastic? : In this situation, it’s better to go with “plastic.” Credit cards offer great benefits for travel. They are safer than carrying cash, can be replaced if lost or stolen, and are accepted at millions of location worldwide.
- In Case of Emergency : Credit cards can provide added protection such as emergency travel assistance, travel accident insurance and account monitoring against fraud.
- Travel Comfortably : Do you really want to sit on the plane for hours with a wad of cash in your back pocket? Rest assured, traveling with a credit card will alleviate the stress of having to travel with hundreds of dollars with you.
Traveling with a credit card also means you can keep a close eye on your recent transactions by accessing your statement online 24/7, from anywhere with internet access.